Friday, October 1, 2010

Motors

Oh my dear god I made something move without touching it and it made sparks.
I'M SO HAPPY.
I'd post the picture and the video of it working right here, but seems like my partner is having technicall difficulties. Sob.

Here have a picture of a sexier and shinier picture of a better motor for now:
I'LL BUILD THIS SOMEDAY, YOU'LL SEE.

And here's a diagram of what it was supposed to look like:
BE SATISFIED.

See we were given one day to find the materials, and one period to make this motor. The main problem of the whole thing was that I couldn't find a 4 inch nail. The best I had was a three inch and it was SO thick, it was like thicker then my pinky. No way I'm gonna be able to hammer that in the wood.
I had to ask my friends for some nails, desperately messaging to people on msn if they had nails. Luckily someone seemed to have them, after buying some for his own motor it seems.
Then he came to school pretty late. Oh sweet Jesus.

We were still one of the first people to finish, yayyyy.

So what happens is that current flows through the wires and creates a circular magnetic force. If we place those between north and south magnets, the forces would cause one to push itself up and the other to push itself down. Then we use conducting brushes to switch the currents whenever it gets to its limit in pushing itself up or down, so it continues to go around as it pushes itself the other way. This creates a motor, and DAMN did I learn to make one. I also learned I hate paper clips. A lot. Stupid things won't bend and won't stay in the wood.

They are always in my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment