Thursday, September 9, 2010

Challenge: Create a tall tower of newspapers

This is actually events from yesterday, as we walked into the Physics class. A challenge was given. Actually, a contest. We were to create a stable tower of newspapers, given limited supplies such as the amount of newspapers and a length of tape. This was a contest.

I hate not being 1st in contests.

We ended up 2nd last place.

Technically, one or two other towers fell and our towers beat them, but GODDAMMIT IT WAS STILL NOT FIRST PLACE. Burger King would have been disappointed.
"I hereby declair you failure in life."

Angry at my failure, I had to research on the laws and methods of building amazing newspaper structures that would equal the structural power of CN tower so such disappointments will never occur again. Ok I lied. The teacher told us to write a blog about physics of tall structures and all that good stuff. Looking at my planner, I see I have to answer three questions about our challenges of that day. So here they are:

Qs: Explain the physics of tall structures, What makes a tall structure stable?, What is the centre of gravity?
A: I'm having trouble finding the answer to this and I forgot my textbook at school, so hopefully I won't get this too bad. My guess is that the mass of the structure's parts must be smaller as it goes up, as gravity's force at the top cannot be stronger then the bottom or it will collapse. The top will bring itself to the ground more forcefully then the actual base. Therefore, as the mass of the matter depends partly on the area, it would be best to have a flat, wide base, and get thinner and lighter as it goes up. The centre of gravity would of course be at the centre, as if it wasn't, it'd topple over (like your dreams)
I wanna live in a sideways house.

1 comment:

  1. nice drawing! it's not a failure when you've given it your best. good job.

    ReplyDelete